The Rotary Club of Gosford West is in District 9685 and was chartered in April 1977. The Club is at the gateway to the Central Coast. Our club had its first meeting at the Gosford RSL Club in April 1977. The Rotary Club of Gosford was our mother club and Van Adcock was our first president with Bill Pluim as Secretary.
Since that time the club has attained a proud record in developing and fostering the aims of Rotary. Some of our achievements include:
- The Gateway to Gosford Project – The establishment of an ongoing programme for the enhancement of the western entry to the city of Gosford.
- The Avenue of Flags – A project which provided the Avenue of Flags along the Pacific Highway at West Gosford.
- The Opening of the Mooney Bridge -The club initiated and organised the event which attracted 32,000 visitors.
- Carawah Reserve – Our club developed this wetland area at West Gosford for educational and recreational purposes.
- Forming of our Daughter Club, Kariong/Somersby.
- Youth in Performing Arts – An annual event organised by our club to support and encourage talented youth within the Central Coast region. Around 1000 youth benefit each year. We handed this project onto Laycock Street Theatre in 2005 and until 2009 provided annual scholarships to the value of $5000. Scholarships and sponsorships are now provided by local businesses.
- Parkside Multi Service Youth Facility in Gosford- Assisted with fund-raising for and construction of multi-million dollar multi-service youth facility in conjunction with other Central Coast Rotary Clubs and community agencies.
- The Wheelchair Australia Project – Our club began this project in 2003 with the Aim of providing wheelchairs to people in need in developing countries throughout the Pacific region. We have delivered in excess of 3500 wheelchairs to a value of $1.8M (AUD). 100% of your financial donation goes to the purchase of a wheelchair. Currently $150(AUD) buys a wheelchair but this cost varies with the valuation of the Australian dollar as wheelchairs are purchased in US dollars.
- Annual Community Support – Each year the funds raised during the year are distributed to various charities and projects within the Central Coast and abroad. Distributions on average are around $17,000 each year.
If you are interested in getting involved with the projects we do at Gosford West Rotary please contact us!